Studying Egyptology at the University of Vienna.

This page is intended to help all those interested in studying Egyptology. The first thing for you to do is to check the general admission requirements for the University of Vienna at Teaching Affairs and Student Services. The following FAQs should provide you an insight into the discipline of Egyptology.


Which degrees does the University of Vienna offer in Egyptology?

In accordance with changes to the study regulations, as of the Winter Semester 2008 you can only enrol in either a Bachelor (Studienkennzahl A 033 698) or a Masters degree (Studienkennzahl A 066 898).


What are the prerequisites for studying Egyptology?

In general, entry to the University of Vienna requires either a school leaver’s certificate or the completion of a university entry examination. For entry into Egyptology, you will need to complete a Latin Course (at least 10 Semester Hours) before you enrol. Otherwise you must sit a supplementary examination offered by the University of Vienna.


How are the Bachelor and Master’s degrees structured?

The Bachelor in Egyptology should be of at least 6 semesters duration. During this time you are required to collect 120 ECTS points from the courses on offer in Egyptology and an additional 60 ECTS points from Complementary Study Programs (Erweiterungscurricula i.e. minors).

The Masters in Egyptology should be of at least 4 semesters duration. You will need to collect 120 ECTS points from various Compulsory and Elective modules (see the Masters Curriculum). The Masters Examination and thesis are included in these.


Do I need to combine Egyptology with another degree?

There is no compulsory combination with a second degree.


Which courses do I need to attend in my first semester?

STEOP Pflichtmodul A STEOP Pflichtmodul B

Empfohlener Studienplan für das Bachelor-Curriculum in Ägyptologie (ab 01.10.2013)
Empfohlener Studienplan für das Master-Curriculum in Ägyptologie (ab 01.10.2013)

If anything is unclear, you can get directly in contact with the representatives of our area of study (Studienrichtungsvertretung) by person or by e-mail. For more information see “StrV”.